Watch Video – How to Embed Youtube Video in Excel
Embedding a Youtube video in Excel could be helpful if you want the user to go through some instructions in the video before using the spreadsheet/model/dashboard. I sometimes use it during excel training session with live examples.
In this blog post, I will show you how you can embed youtube video in Excel.
Step 1 – Modify Youtube URL
- Get the youtube video URL. I am using the URL of a popular video from my Youtube channel.
- Modify the youtube link by making the following changes
- Remove watch?
- Replace = after v with a forward slash (v= becomes v/)
- Add &vq=hd720 at the end of the URL to play it in HD mode. Make sure that the video has the HD mode available in youtube (if not, do not add &vq=hd720).
- The resulting URL looks like this
- We will use this URL in Step 2 to embed this video in Excel
Step 2 – Embed Youtube Video in Excel
- Go to Developer Tab. If you do not have a developer tab in ribbon, click here to learn on how to enable it.
- In developer tab, go to Insert –> More Controls.
- In More Controls dialogue box, select Shockwave Flash Object and click OK
- Click anywhere on the sheet and it will insert the Shockwave Flash Object
- Right click on the Shockwave Flash Object and Click on Properties
- In the Shockwave Flash Object Properties dialogue box, make the following changes
- AllowFullScreen: True (This enables you to play the video in full-screen mode)
- Movie: https://www.youtube.com/v/Gm5m-y49rI0&vq=hd720 (it is the modified URL created in Step 1)
- Close the properties window. Go to Developer and click on Design Mode. This will get you out of Design Mode and you would see youtube video load in the flash object space. Click on play to watch the video.
Caution: Do not save in compatibility mode. It may not work when you re-open it. Save it in XSLX or XLSM format
You May Also Like the following Excel Tutorials:
- How to Insert and Use a Checkbox in Excel.
- How to Insert a Watermark in Excel.
- How to Insert Picture Into Excel Cell.