Excel SECOND Function (Examples + Video)
When to use Excel SECOND Function
Excel SECOND function can be used want to get the integer value of the seconds from a specified time value.
What it Returns
It returns a value between 0 and 59 depending on the time value used as the input.
- serial_number: the value that contains the time for which the seconds value needs to be determined.
The argument can be provided in different formats:
- As a serial number: The integer part of the serial number represents the date, while the decimal portion of it represents time (remember excel stores date and time as serial numbers).
- If you provide 41640.7813657407 as the serial number, it would return 10 (as the decimal portion 0.7813657407 represents 18 hours, 45 minutes, and 10 seconds).
- As text: =SECOND(“41640.7813657407”) would return 10.
- As a result of some other formula. For example, =SECOND(TIMEVALUE(“6:45:10 PM”)) would return 10.
Excel SECOND Function – Live Example
Excel SECOND Function – Video Tutorial
Related Excel Functions:
You May Also Like the Following Excel Tutorials: