This Tutorial Covers:
In Excel. there are text functions that allow you to quickly change the case of the text (to lower case, upper case, or proper case).
Below is an example of each type of case:
Excel LOWER Function – Overview
LOWER function is one of the many text function in Excel.
What does it do?
It takes a string as the input and converts all the upper case characters in that text string to lower case.
When to Use it?
Use it when you have a text string and you want to convert it all into lower case. This can often be the case when you get the data from an external source and you want to clean it and make it consistent.
Lower Function Syntax
- text: This is the text string in which you want to convert upper case characters to lower case.
Examples of using LOWER Function
Here are some practical examples to show you how to the Lower function in Excel worksheet.
Example 1 – Make the Data Consistent
Below is an example dataset where I want to convert all the text into lower case.
The following formula would do this:
Example 2 – Create Email Address Using Names
Suppose you’re working in the IT department of ABC Ltd, and you get a list of names new joiners for which you need to create an email id.
You can use the below LOWER formula to first convert all the text into lower case and then combine it to get the email id.
The above formula converts the first and the last name to lower case and then combines it along with the text “@abc.com”
Some useful things to know about the LOWER Function:
- The LOWER function only affects the uppercase characters of the text string. Any character other than the uppercase text characters is left unchanged.
- Numbers, special characters, and punctuations are not changed by the LOWER function.
- If you use a null character (or a reference to an empty cell), it will return a null character.
Other Useful Excel Functions:
- Excel FIND Function – The FIND function finds a text string within another text string and returns its position
- Excel UPPER Function. – The UPPER function converts a given text string from lower case to upper case. Numbers, punctuations, and special characters are not changed.
- Excel PROPER Function. – The PROPER function converts a given text string to the proper case (where the first letter of each word is capitalized). Numbers, punctuations, and special characters are not changed
- Excel TRIM Function – The TRIM function removes leading, trailing, and double spaces from a text string.
Similar Function in VBA:
- VBA LCase Function – It converts a text string to the lower case in VBA.