Excel MID Function (Example + Video)
When to use Excel MID Function
MID function can be used to extract a specified number of characters from a string.
What it Returns
It returns the sub-string from a string.
=MID(text, start_num, num_chars)
- text – the text from which you want to extract the string.
- start_num – the starting position within the text argument, from where the extraction should begin.
- num_chars – the total number of characters that you want to extract.
- Spaces are counted as characters.
- To remove extra spaces, use TRIM function.
- If the start number is greater than the length of the text, MID returns “” (empty text).
- Returns an error if:
- The start number is less than 1.
- The number of characters is a negative number.
Excel MID Function – Live Example
Excel MID Function – Video Tutorial
Related Excel Functions: