Excel TEXT Function (Example + Video)
When to use Excel TEXT Function
Excel TEXT function can be used when you want to convert a number to text format and display it in a specified format.
What it Returns
It returns text in the specified format.
- value – the number that you want to convert into text.
- format_text – the format in which you want to display the number.
- This is a useful function when there is a need to show numbers in a format, or a need to combine numbers with text/symbols.
- For example, if you have a value 2000 in cell A1. and you want to show the text – The Sales were $2,000, you can use the following formula: =”The Sales were “&TEXT(A1,”$#,###”)
- The numbers are converted to text, and hence can not be used in calculations.
- If you need to use these numbers in formulas/calculations, use custom number formatting.
Excel TEXT Function – Live Example
Excel TEXT Function – Video Tutorial
Related Excel Functions:
- Excel CONCATENATE Function.
- Excel LEFT Function.
- Excel LEN Function.
- Excel MID Function.
- Excel REPT Function.
- Excel RIGHT Function.
- Excel TRIM Function.
You may also like the following Excel tutorials: