Excel RIGHT Function (Example + Video)
When to use Excel RIGHT Function
RIGHT function can be used to extract text from right of the string.
What it Returns
It returns the specified number of characters from the right of the string.
- text – The text string that contains the characters you want to extract.
- [num_chars] – (optional) the number of characters to extract from the right of the text string. If you omit this, is defaults to 1.
- Num_chars must be greater than or equal to zero.
- If num_chars is greater than the length of the text, RIGHT returns all of text.
- If the number of characters is not given, it returns the right-most character.
- Spaces are counted as characters.
- To remove extra spaces from text strings, use the TRIM function.
- It also works with numbers, as it treats numbers as text (Live Example below).
Excel RIGHT Function – Live Example
Excel RIGHT Function – Video Tutorial
Related Excel Functions: