Excel LEN Function (Example + Video)
When to use Excel LEN Function
LEN function can be used when you want to get the total number of characters in a specified string.
What it Returns
It returns a number that represents the number of characters in the specified string.
- text – the string for which you want to find the number of characters.
- Spaces are counted as characters.
- To remove extra spaces from text strings, use the TRIM function.
- It also works with numbers and treats numbers as text.
- In case of numbers, formatting does not change the number of characters. For example, 1000 formatted as $1,000 would still return 3.
Excel LEN Function – Live Example
Excel LEN Function – Video Tutorial
Related Excel Functions:
- Excel CONCATENATE Function.
- Excel LEFT Function.
- Excel MID Function.
- Excel REPT Function.
- Excel RIGHT Function.
- Excel TEXT Function.
- Excel TRIM Function.
You May Also Like the Following Excel Tutorials:
- How to Count the Number of Words in Excel.
- Find the Position of the Nth Occurrence of a Character in a String in Excel.