Excel WEEKDAY Function (Examples + Video)
When to use Excel WEEKDAY Function
WEEKDAY function can be used to get the day of the week as a number (between 1 to 7) for the specified date.
What it Returns
It returns a number between 1 and 7 that represents the corresponding day of the week.
- serial_number: It is the serial number of the date for which you want to find the weekday number.
- [return_type]: (Optional) You can choose the week's start day and the value it should return. By default, the week starts on a Sunday (which means that if the day of the specified date is Sunday, then it returns 1. If it is Monday then 2 and so on..)
- By default, if you don't use the optional argument, the function returns 1 for Sunday and 7 for Saturday.
- You can change this by selecting from various options in return_type section.
- Apart from serial numbers, WEEKDAY function would also work with dates entered as:
- A result from some other function
- A date stored as text
- A date entered as text in WEEKDAY function (in double quotes)
- WEEKDAY function returns a #NUM! error if the serial_num or return_type are out of range.
Excel WEEKDAY Function – Live Example
Excel WEEKDAY Function – Video Tutorial
Related Excel Functions:
- Using DATE Function in Excel.
- Using DATEVALUE Function in Excel.
- Using NETWORKDAYS Function in Excel.
- Using NETWORKDAYS.INTL Function in Excel.
- Using TODAY Function in Excel.
- Using WORKDAY Function in Excel.
- Using WORKDAY.INTL Function in Excel.
- Using DATEDIF Function in Excel.
You May Also Like the Following Excel Tutorials:
- Calculate the Number of Days Between Two Dates.
- Employee Leave Tracker Template.
- Employee Timesheet Calculator.