Excel WEEKDAY Function (Examples + Video)
When to use Excel WEEKDAY Function
WEEKDAY function can be used to get the day of the week as a number (between 1 to 7) for the specified date.
What it Returns
It returns a number between 1 and 7 that represents the corresponding day of the week.
- serial_number: It is the serial number of the date for which you want to find the weekday number.
- [return_type]: (Optional) You can choose the week’s start day and the value it should return. By default, the week starts on a Sunday (which means that if the day of the specified date is Sunday, then it returns 1. If it is Monday then 2 and so on..)
- By default, if you don’t use the optional argument, the function returns 1 for Sunday and 7 for Saturday.
- You can change this by selecting from various options in return_type section.
- Apart from serial numbers, WEEKDAY function would also work with dates entered as:
- A result from some other function
- A date stored as text
- A date entered as text in WEEKDAY function (in double quotes)
- WEEKDAY function returns a #NUM! error if the serial_num or return_type are out of range.
Excel WEEKDAY Function – Live Example
Excel WEEKDAY Function – Video Tutorial
Related Useul Excel Functions:
- Excel DATE Function: Excel DATE function can be used when you want to get the date value using the year, month and, day values as the input arguments. It returns a serial number that represents a specific date in Excel.
- Excel DATEVALUE Function: Excel DATEVALUE function is best suited for situations when a date is stored as text. This function converts the date from text format to a serial number that Excel recognizes as a date.
- Excel NETWORKDAYS Function: Excel NETWORKDAYS function can be used when you want to get the number of working days between two given dates. It does not count the weekends between the specified dates (by default the weekend is Saturday and Sunday). It can also exclude any specified holidays.
- Excel NETWORKDAYS.INTL Function: Excel NETWORKDAYS.INTL function can be used when you want to get the number of working days between two given dates. It does not count the weekends and holidays, both of which can be specified by the user. It also enables you to specify the weekend (for example, you can specify Friday and Saturday as the weekend, or only Sunday as the weekend).
- Excel Today Function: Excel TODAY function can be used to get the current date. It returns a serial number that represents the current date.
- Excel WORKDAY Function: Excel WORKDAY function can be used when you want to get the date after a given number of working days. By default, it takes Saturday and Sunday as the weekend
- Excel WORKDAY.INTL Function: Excel WORKDAY.INTL function can be used when you want to get the date after a given number of working days. In this function, you can specify the weekend to be days other than Saturday and Sunday.
- Excel DATEDIF Function: Excel DATEDIF function can be used when you want to calculate the number of years, months, or days between the two specified dates. A good example would be calculating the age.
You May Also Like the Following Excel Tutorials: