There isn’t any trickery involved in this post. I just want to give you a quick and simple way to insert new cells in excel.
First, let’s see the usual way of doing it. Suppose, you have a data set as shown below and you want to insert blank cells in C2:C4, in such a way that the data in C2:C4 should shift one column to the right
The usual way of doing this is to first select C2:C4, then right click and Select Insert. In the Insert dialogue box, select Shift Cells Right.
While this isn’t exactly a very long way to do this, there is a better and quicker way to do it. Here is the trick:
- Select B2:B4.
- Bring your mouse pointer to the bottom right of the selection. You will see the autofill icon (a black square).
- Press Shift (you will notice that the shape of the mouse pointer has changed).
- Shift the selected data to the right.
- That’s it!!.
You May Also Like the Following Excel Tutorials:
- How to Insert Multiple Rows in Excel – 4 Methods.
- Keyboard & Mouse Tricks that will Reinvent the Way You Excel.
- 200+ Excel Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Boost Your Productivity with Excel Mouse Double Click Tricks.
- How to Insert Bullets in Excel – Examples + Video.