I was never into sports. I tried my hands at a number of sports, but I was always below average in most of it (you got to give me some credit for trying at least).
I even played fantasy football with a couple of football junkies. I still follow these matches and I still suck at playing it. 🙂
But I am better at making dashboards, and in this tutorial, I will show you how to create an Excel Dashboard that analyses English Premier League games of the 2014-2015 season.
Here is how the final dashboard looks like:
Excel Dashboard – EPL Season 2014-15 Visualized
How to use this Excel Dashboard:
- Use Scroll bar to change the week number.
- Note that as you change the week number, it shows the games played it that selected week and the ranking of the teams at the end of the week.
- Double click on the game result cells to get the detail for the game.
- As soon as you double click on the cells that have the game results, the match statistics update along with the logo of the clubs. It also shows the total win/loss numbers of both the teams for the entire season. For example, if I double-click on a game of Chelsea, it would show only 3 lost games for Chelsea (in red colour bar in the win/loss chart).
- Click on the help icon to show instructions. Click on it again to hide the instructions.
Where did the data come from?
- I got all the data from www.football-data.co.uk. It has similar data for other leagues and competitions.
- I got the logos from Wikipedia.
What all goes into making this dashboard?
- Scroll bar to change week number.
- Excel Functions – INDEX | MATCH | SUMPRODUCT | ROWS | IFERROR
- Excel Table and structured references (a must for data-driven dashboards).
- Named Ranges (this dashboard uses Picture Lookup technique to display the relevant icon on user selection).
- A little bit of VBA.
Are you a football fan too? Do you like it? Let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment.
Other Excel Dashboard Tutorials:
- A Guide to Creating an Excel Dashboard.
- KPI Dashboard in Excel – Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3.
- Game of Thrones Dashboard.
Learn to create Killer Excel Dashboards
If you want to learn to create world-class Excel Dashboard, consider joining our Dashboard Course. Click here to know more about the course.